Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Blog Post #1

My Five Major News Sources

In the past I have not been overly into following what is happening in the world, because I felt that I couldn't do much about it- so why care.  However, as I have begun to pursue a career in journalism, my perspective on receiving news has changed.  I find it to be very beneficial, not only for understanding what is going on around me, but also to show me how journalists are presenting news to viewers.  It is very important for me to understand the way viewers want to gain news and what piques their interest the most, because I want to be able to write stories on interesting topics in interesting ways, to keep readers engaged.  By reading or viewing the news I can understand what is in the now and how journalists are showing it to viewers across numerous platforms.  I can also look at it from a viewer's perspective and see what I find effective when reading and viewing the news, to see how I would format a story or explain a situation for it be most effective.  So, coming to HPU and majoring in journalism has opened my eyes to the importance of paying attention to the news for viewing and journalistic purposes.  I hope that explaining these five sources helps you see that there are numerous personal benefits for paying attention to the news and that you can receive the news in multiple ways that suit you best.


1. ESPN
My dream is to be a sports journalist, so I get a lot of my information about what is going on in the sports world from ESPN.  In the settings of my phone, I have notifications set for ESPN, so I never miss top plays, scores, trades, or social issues that are showcased in sports.  I suggest using ESPN to you all, especially sports fans, but for people who aren't avid sports fans as well.  I say this, because sports can open a lot of doors for people, even when they least expect it.  Sports aren't only about winning and losing, and topics come up that not only affect sports, but other fields of interests as well.  So, it doesn't hurt to look at ESPN for interesting stories that may have an impact on you or may shockingly peak your interests.  I love getting news from ESPN, because I think that their reporters are the best in the industry and are a great model for me to go off of in my future articles.


I use Google as a jumping off point when I am looking for something that I have heard about by either word of mouth, social media, TV, etc..  If something piques my interest, I take to Google secondly to ESPN, because it's quick, constantly updated, and can be a good fact checker.  I say that it is a good fact checker, because you can look up a topic or situation that is going on in the world and can see numerous articles covering the topic.  Then you can see if the original source that you received the information from was accurate or not.  If it was, most of the articles should have similar information in comparison to it.  As a warning I would try to make your searches as unbiased as possible and, in a sense, very broad, because it is possible that Google will give you biased articles depending on the wording of your search.  Since it is a search engine; it obviously wants to give you the information that you are looking for.  So, if you tailor your search to a specific viewpoint or opinion, you will most likely receive that.  It might not be as beneficial, because it's possible that that viewpoint could be inaccurate, or may not get the full picture.  Google can be a great resource that provides you with numerous articles with various viewpoints... just make sure you make your searches unbiased!


I use the Associated Press when I'm curious about what is going on in the world and I don't really know what I want to hear or read about.  This news organization covers numerous topics with their articles and videos.  My professor suggested that we look into the Associated Press, because they are trustworthy, they stay up to date, and are organized.  I would suggest using the Associated Press for you all, especially those who aren't necessarily into the news, like I was.  I think that this organization is good at hooking readers within their own individual articles, so it will not bore you, if you check them out.  I also believe that they don't just give you the bare minimum and move on, but instead provide you with other links and videos so that you can continue to gain more information if interested.  I like that they don't only focus on one topic or field of interest, but instead cover many things, from politics to entertainment.  Associated Press is very organized in its format, as I mentioned previously, so I think that it is a great resource if you want to get your news on a variety of topics, all with just the click of a few buttons.  Due to the organization, I don't think that it will be difficult to find stories to read or videos to watch on numerous topics, so it should ultimately make the news easy and hopefully a pretty consistent activity in your day.


I personally am not on Tik Tok all that much, but when I am on it, I usually learn something from at least one video, if not more.  I know that this is hard to believe, especially since this platform has been scrutinized for creating dangerous trends and for basically being a giant waste of time.  However, I would consider Tik Tok as a news source for numerous reasons.  One reason is that many news organizations, national and local, have their own Tik Tok pages.  On these pages, they can post short news stories to hook the audience and then can link the full articles in the caption or comments for people to look at.  So Tik Tok is a great resource to jumpstart your interest in the news.  I also think that Tik Tok is an effective news source because anyone can come to the platform and post about whatever they would like.  I find that it is a source that can cover an abundance of topics, because people of all walks of life can post on it.  Therefore, I feel that we never really know what to expect on the app and we are exposed to information and insider perspectives that we haven't been too prior.  In a way, I think there's a sense of beauty to the app, because you can express yourself in many ways, and people use it as a resource to get information out, especially when they want to advocate for something.  When used in appropriate measures, I think that it can be very useful to get information about international, national, and more personal news.


5. Family
My family and the people I surround myself with are also sources for news because we discuss topics that they see from their news sources and vice versa.  I think that it's very beneficial to have conversations about what is going on in the world with people you are close with, because you can confide in people on how you feel about certain topics and understand them better too.  You can understand the topics better by feeling comfortable enough to ask questions if you are confused, and you can see news from different perspectives, depending on how your family and friends feel about certain topics.  Overall, I think it's beneficial, because you can stay in the know with many different topics, by being revealed to various opinions and standpoints.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog #12

Final Post: A Take on Technology Technology has essentially taken over our lives and we have discussed plenty of instances of this in class,...